Jan 29, 2011

Week 4: Bokeh

Time to test out my EF-50mm f/1.4 USM Lens!
It is quite different compared to the EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens.
There is no zoom and I have to go back and forth to find the perfect spot (further range/distance from the object).

As for week 4's project, I have chosen "bokeh" as my topic.
I have taken 2 types of bokeh pictures; one where I focused the object infront and blurred out the background, and another one with a bokeh shape. My room was very dark and it was difficult for me to "focus". As a result, my pictures are not as sharp as I wanted. I'll give it a try again in the future.

The background lights are the Christmas lights, hanging on a plant. You can use candles as well.
I placed a cup a few feet infront of the lights.
Set the aperature to the lowest (in my case is f/1.4 so that it has the minimum/most narrow focus and blur out everything around or behind the focus point).
Focus on the cup and ensure the background is as blur as you wanted. Adjust accordingly and snap! Here you go!

Make a hood (with black paper) for your lens. Cut a small pattern or shape (in my case I use a hole puncher with a dolphin shape) and place it in the middle of the hood. Aim at the christmas light and try to be very out of focus. If you see what you like, just snap a shot. The result will be better if you get some light in the room too.

 



2 comments:

  1. Do you remember where you got that dolphin hole puncher from I have been looking for one like that forever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got it from a book store (at the stationary section) and I have also seen it in most of the art/handicraft store. I think you can find it in Amazon.com too:
      http://www.amazon.com/Dolphin-Shaped-Punch-Crafting-Scrap/dp/B005IZQ9PM
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/DOLPHIN-SHAPE-CRAFT-DECORATIVE-CUTTER/dp/B001Y7PI3W

      Delete